Tradition has it that each year for my birthday, I get to choose what homemade cake I'd like for the big day. For several years my chosen cake has been this limoncello cake recipe.
There's no mistaking this cake's flavorful taste, thanks to my family's very own homemade limoncello recipe. Try your hands at making this limoncello cake once and it might become your new citrusy sweet favorite!
Time To Prepare:
About 90 minutes (includes cooling of the cake)
If you don't have limoncello you can substitute lemon juice but I highly recommend going all the way with limoncello for the best lemony taste! Limoncello isn't something you make the same day it's consumed - it takes about 10 days for the peels to steep so we keep some flasks of it in the freezer to readily have it for baking, sipping, and gift giving.
This cake recipe can also be used to make (insert drumroll) cupcakes! This will make 24 regular-sized cupcakes and you'll have enough frosting to boot.
Love frosting? You can double the recipe below if you want lots and lots of the billowy stuff! Add a few drops of food coloring if you'd like a colorful frosting.
for the cake 1 Stick (½ Cup) | Unsalted Butter, Softened (I highly suggest Falfurrias brand) 2 ½ Cups | Flour 1 Teaspoon | Baking Soda ½ Teaspoon | Salt 1 ½ Cups | Sugar
3 | Cage Free Eggs ½ Cup | Buttermilk ½ Cup + 2 Tablespoons | Limoncello (get the recipe here) 1 | Zest of Lemon
for the frosting 8 Ounces | Mascarpone Cheese 5 Ounces | Lemon Curd 1 Cup | Heavy Cream, Chilled ⅓ Cup | Powdered Sugar to decorate (optional, as shown) Unsweetened Coconut Flakes, Toasted Or Au Naturale From The Bag (optional) White Chocolate Bar, Shaved Into Curls (this Lindt White Chocolate Bar was great)
What To Do:
1. Set the unwrapped butter out from the fridge to soften to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt using a wire whisk or fork and set aside. 3. In a new mixing bowl combine the sugar and the butter and mix them well at medium-high speed - a KitchenAid works great! 4. Add the eggs one at a time and continue mixing. 5. In alternating batches slowly introduce the flour, buttermilk and the limoncello until everything's all in and combined.
6. Add the fresh lemon zest as the final step and you're done with the cake batter! 7. Preheat your oven to 350°F. 8. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with Crisco or nonstick spray then line with parchment paper and grease that as well. No sticking allowed. 🤠
9. Pour the cake batter into the pans, keeping the batter evenly divided. 10. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted knife can be removed "clean." Remove from the oven and let the cake cool while we make the frosting! Note: When the pans are cool to the touch invert them onto a cooling rack (optional). 11. In a new mixing bowl add the cheese, lemon curd, heavy cream and whip it all together on high speed. Reduce the mixer to low and slowly introduce the powdered sugar and continue beating until things are well combined... then increase the speed and whip the frosting until it's light and fluffy. 12. Transfer the first cake layer to a serving plate or cake stand and frost just the top. Add the second cake layer, continuing to frost the top plus all sides until completely covered with the lemon mascarpone curd frosting.
13. Highly Recommended: If decorating with the coconut flakes and or the shaved chocolate curls:
Sprinkle/lightly tap the coconut on the tops and or sides of the cake (I scored coconut because it's a favorite).
To make the chocolate curls take a vegetable peeler and hand peel the chocolate over a small dish or bowl - the chocolate should come off in curls as shown. If the chocolate begins to soften in your hands you can chill it in the fridge for a few minutes. When done, gently cover the tops and or sides of the cake with the curls.
I scored some rainbow sprinkles and sparkler candles to get the party started!
Yield: One two-layer cake or 24 cupcakes Enjoy!
Joe Paul Reider
Home Style Austin Founder Austin Realtor® Keller Williams Realty
Email: JoePaul@KW.com Mobile: 512-222-3302 Web: JoePaulReider.KW.com
Love Food? Explore more of our favorite recipes here at HomeStyleAustin.com!