Homemade Limoncello Recipe
This is my family’s favorite limoncello recipe, which will amaze minds (including your own) that you made it.
The recipe is compliments of Ed’s Cucina. To say he touched my heart and belly… well, it’s just an understatement. The world lost an amazing soul in 2011. I hope we greet and eat again!
8 -10 | Lemons, Depending On Size (get the big ones) 1 Gallon | Widemouth Jar 1 Liter | Everclear 3 Cups | Granulated Sugar 4 Cups | Distilled Water
What To Do:
1. Using a vegetable peeler, strip the rind from all the lemons. With a very sharp knife, cut away all the white pith (it’s very bitter) from the peels. Place the peels in the jar, then pour the Everclear on top. Try to keep the peels completely immersed under the Everclear. Put a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the jar and screw on the lid (this prevents evaporation).
3. Each day for a total of eight days or more, swirl the mix once and return it to a cool place.
4. On the eighth day (or later), place the sugar in a pan and add water. Heat until dissolved an then set aside to cool. It’s not necessary to boil the mixture.
5. Now filter the clear bright yellow Everclear. Use a coffee filter in a funnel or large colander and ladle the Everclear into the filter. Try not to shake up the mixture (it will filter much faster). When all of the liquid has been filtered, empty the jar and discard the spent lemon peels.
6. Rinse and dry the jar and transfer the Everclear back into the jar.
7. Here’s the easy part; pour or ladle the simple syrup into the Everclear. As you add the syrup, the mixture becomes more and more cloudy. When you’ve added the last of the syrup, you have created your homemade limoncello!
If you plan to store the limoncello in the Jar, be sure to first cover the top with plastic wrap and then screw on the lid. Stores well in the freezer.
Finally, if you find that the mixture is too strong for your taste, you have some options:
Dilute the limoncello with DISTILLED water to your liking. Bear in mind, if you dilute the mix too much it will turn to a slush in the freezer or even worse, freeze.
Substitute 1/2 of the Everclear with some vodka.
If you think it needs to be more or less sweet, feel free to adjust the amount of sugar ON THE NEXT BATCH!
Bottled limoncello makes great gifts, perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!
~ Joe Paul Reider Home Style Austin Founder Austin Realtor® Keller Williams Realty, Inc.