I’ve tweaked this recipe over the years, so you can edit it to please your own personal taste buds. I’ve had several friends say it’s the best tortilla soup they’ve ever had … plus, it’s easy to make.
My secret? Squeezing some lime juice on top just after the cheese starts to melt.
As temperatures start to “dip,” what better way to warm-up chilly evenings, than with this all-time favorite tortilla soup recipe? Perfect as an appetizer, or as a main course, one bowl of this soup usually leads to two … or more! Totally a comfort food staple for the Spicy Foodie in you.
2 Cups | Cooked Chicken Breast, Cubed 1 Cup | Chopped Onion 1 Teaspoon | Olive Oil 1 – 4 Ounce Can | Chopped Green Chiles 1 – 1.25 Ounce Package | Taco Seasoning Mix ~ The Hotter, The Better 1 – 16 Ounce Can | Stewed Tomatoes 6 Cups | Chicken Broth 1 – 10 Ounce Package | Frozen Corn ⅓ Cup | Fresh Chopped Cilantro To Garnish | Tortilla Chips, Broken Into Pieces 4 Cups | Your Favorite Grated Cheese (I Prefer Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack or Cheddar) 1 | Avocado, Sliced To Garnish | Sour Cream To Garnish | Green Onion (scallion) To Taste | Fresh Ground Black Pepper To Garnish | A Squeeze Of Lime Juice
What To Do:
1. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and place into a medium pot filled with water. Bring to a boil for 5-7 minutes and cook until done. Drain and set aside.
2. In a 5-quart saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion in oil 3 to 4 minutes, until soft.
3. Stir in chiles and the seasoning mix, cook 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes and juice, breaking them up with a spoon.
5. Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
6. Add corn and chicken, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add cilantro.
8. Spoon into bowls and top with chips, cheese, avocado, sour cream… and garnish with scallion, a bit of black pepper… and a squeeze of lime.
Serves 4-6 hungry folks. Refrigerates well.
My friends ask for this recipe often, so here it is - Enjoy!
~ Joe Paul Reider
Home Style Austin Founder Austin Realtor® Keller Williams Realty, Inc.