Try my family recipe that’s the perfect mash-up of Italy and Texas!
The sauce infuses an Italian red sauce with the tongue-tingling taste of Texas, compliments of our friend – the jalapeño. Bold and spicy, the sauce is a favorite, so it won’t last long. Put some in a Mason jar and share it with your new best friend for life. Make their tummy smile!
1 Pound | Ground Chili Beef 1 Pound | Ground Hot Italian Sausage 3 Tablespoons | Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 Palm Full | Fennel Seed 8 – 12 Cloves | Minced Garlic 2 | Seeded and Chopped Fresno Chili Peppers or Red Bell Peppers or Italian Cherry Chili Peppers 2 Medium | Chopped White Onions 4 – 5 Medium | Chopped Jalapeños 1 Cup | Dry White Wine 4 Cans (28 Ounce Size) | San Marzano Style Tomatoes To Taste | Gray Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper 8 – 12 Sprigs | Finely Chopped Marjoram ¾ Cup | Finely Chopped Parsley 12 Leaves | Chopped Basil Leaves To Garnish | Parsley, Basil, Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese To Garnish | Garlic Texas Toast ~ This. Is. TEXAS!
What To Do:
1. Brown the meats together over a medium-high heat. Drain and put into an 8 quart stock pot.
2. In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat.
3. Add the fennel seed, garlic, chili pepper, onion and jalapeño and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Transfer the vegetable mixture into the stock pot.
5. Add the wine and tomatoes, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon.
6. Season the sauce with salt, pepper, marjoram, parsley and the basil.
7. Bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and reduce the sauce for 30-45 minutes before serving.
Fresno Chili Peppers may be a little hard to find at your local market. No worries! You can substitute them with Red Bell Peppers or Italian Cherry Chili Peppers.
Serve atop your favorite pasta, pizza, meatball, crostini or eggplant.
You can use this sauce as your secret ingredient in a mouth-watering, memorable lasagna.
You can omit the meat for a tasty meatless sauce … it’s just as flavorful!
This recipe will generously serve an Italian-sized family of up to 12, depending on how it’s served and how loose their clothing is. 🙂
~ Joe Paul Reider
Home Style Austin Founder Austin Realtor® Keller Williams Realty, Inc.
❤ This recipe was featured on our special 2014 Valentine’s Day Menu Board. Learn more!
#basil #GraySalt #garlic #redsaucerecipe #onions #Jalapeño #Texas #italiansausage #Marjoram #SanMarzanoStyleTomatoes #Parsley #beef #fresnochilipeppers #Italy #italiancherrychilipeppers #whitewine #FreshCrackedBlackPepper