Avocado and Bacon Potato Salad Recipe
This potato salad made its debut in my cucina on the 4th of July in 2011 and it has since visited many, many times. Your foodie friends will likely ask you to make it again and again as it makes any day a special day. Served chilled it's especially enjoyed during the hot summertime. Loaded with sour cream, bacon, avocado and potatoes, this is more of a meal than a mere potato salad.
The original recipe called for “regular ol’ parsley” for decoration but I prefer Italian Flat leaf as it’s less tickley on the tongue and can boast more flavor.
You can cube (vs. slice) the tomatoes and avocados for the final garnish but either makes a dy-no-mite presentation.
Even with a lemon juice coating the avocado can brown after it has been sitting awhile … so dress the salad near the time you are going to present and consume it. Go fresh.
3 Cups | Potatoes, Cooked Then Cubed 1 Cup | Sour Cream ½ Teaspoon | Salt ½ Teaspoon | Seasoned Pepper (a.k.a. Lawry’s Seasoned Salt with Black Pepper) ½ Teaspoon | Caraway Seed 1 Tablespoon + A Little Extra | Lemon Juice ¼ Cup | Italian Flat Leaf Parsley Sprigs (chopped) 3 | Avocados (ripe, not hard) ¼ Cup | Chopped Onions 8 Slices | Hickory-Smoked Bacon (crisped and crumbled) 1 | Large Tomato (sliced or diced) or handful of Cherry Tomatoes (sliced)
What To Do:
1. Scrub then boil the potatoes in a medium-sized pot. Boil until tender, but not “mushy.” Set aside to cool.
2. Blend the sour cream with the salt, pepper, caraway seed and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Set aside to marry.
3. Chop the parsley to yield ¼ cup; set aside.
4. Cut 2 of the avocados lengthwise into halves, removing the seed and skin.
5. Cube the avocado and gently combine it in a medium-sized salad bowl with the chopped parsley, potatoes, chopped onion, the sour cream mixture and ½ of the bacon.
6. Arrange additional chopped parsley sprigs on the top of the salad, cover and chill.
7. To serve, prepare the remaining avocado by slicing lengthwise into halves. Remove the seed and skin and cut into slices. Slice the tomato.
8. Alternate the avocado and tomato slices on top of the potato salad and sprinkle with lemon juice and the remaining bacon. You can chill it ahead of time or enjoy it fresh from the bowl!
Serves: One to a few. It’s that good. Enjoy!
Joe Paul Reider
Home Style Austin Founder Austin Realtor® Keller Williams Realty Email: JoePaul@KW.com Mobile: 512-222-3302 Web: JoePaulReider.KW.com
Love Food? Explore more of our favorite recipes here at HomeStyleAustin.com!