Perfect For Texas Summers I selected this mini key lime pie for this year's birthday sweet. I decided to skip the typical oversized birthday cake and this is the perfect size to treat your tastebuds to a citrusy adventure without a lot of effort. It was also the perfect way to help beat the insane Texas heat since it's served chilled.
Time To Prepare: About 20 minutes to assemble plus an overnight chill in the fridge. Foodie Tips:
This recipe yields 2-3 mini desserts - one perfect for 2-4 people and the rest perfect for sharing. You can turn this into a larger treat using a larger spring form pan but you will need to double or triple the recipe.
Lime Juice - as I'm a fan of lime, I would have used 20 limes but the more lime juice you use the longer it will take to set. I found the 8-10 limes work best.
If you're a fan of the whipped cream, homemade is best. In just a few shakes you can make your own - and you can dial up or down your sugar and flavor to your liking.
Ingredients: 1 Can (12 Oz.) | Evaporated Milk
1 Can (14 Oz.) | Condensed Milk
8-10 (About 1 Cup) | Fresh Limes, Juiced 1 Sleeve | Gamesas Marias Cookies To Top | Pecan Cookie Pieces (a.k.a. Texas Pecans, Diced) To Top | Whipped Cream and 1-2 Lime Slices
Accessories: 2 | Mini Springform Pans
What To Do:
1. Prep The Filling: Blend together the evaporated milk, condensed milk, and the lime juice. 2-3 minutes later the mixture should the thick and spreadable.
2. Prepare The Pans: Line the bottom of your mini springform pans with the waxed paper and clamp it tight. Spread a thin layer of the creamy filling along the sides of the pan; this will help adhere the waxed paper on the sides.
3. Assemble The Desserts: Place enough of the filling on the bottom of the pan to coat well (2-3 spoonfuls). Add a vertical layer of Marias cookies around the edge of the pan as shown above (I place the stamped side facing outward so they can be read once served). It's OK if you need to break a cookie or two to help them fit closely to the pan shape. Continue adding/alternating cream and horizontal layers of the cookies until you reach the top of the pan - I had about 3-4 layers. Repeat for the second mini pan.
4. Chill: Place your prepared desserts into the fridge for 6-8 hours (or overnight), until set.
5. Serve: Unclamp the springform pans to remove the desserts and place them on a serving dish (or two). Sprinkle the top with the pecan pieces, top with whipped cream, and your lime slide (optional).
Yield: Each mini pastry will treat you to 2-4 servings
Explore and enjoy more of my family's favorite recipes (especially the lemony ones) here at HomeStyleAustin.com – your trusted resource for celebrating the best of Central Texas living through the adventures of food, design, and landscape.
Joe Paul Reider
Home Style Austin Founder Austin Realtor® Keller Williams Realty
Email: JoePaul@KW.com Mobile: 512-222-3302 Web: JoePaulReider.KW.com